Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious recipe that you can spice up or keep mild. One that has quickly become a family favorite.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3 soft taco-size flour tortillas
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown and drain ground beef in nonstick skillet.
- Return to pan, stir in garlic, taco seasoning, sugar, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, cottage and parmesan cheeses, and oregano.
- Spray a round casserole dish (taco size) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place one taco in the bottom of the pan.
- Top with 1/2 of the cheese mixture 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with the second tortilla, layering on the rest of the cheese mixture, and 1/2 of the remaining meat and mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the last tortilla, meat sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
I tried this with a group of about 8 this weekend and everyone loved it. I substituted the cottage cheese for sour cream because we dont like cottage cheese and everyone thought it was great. The only thing its missing is something crunchy, Im considering adding tortilla chip topping next time I make it. great recipe and sooo easy to make, THANK YOU