Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a fun recipe, very colorful and very tasty! Enjoy.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup homemade salsa
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (can be purchased or made using recipes posted separately)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 16 -18 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 1⁄2 cups farmer cheese
- 1 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 4 pickled jalapeno peppers, sliced thin
- 4 green onions, chopped
- black olives (optional)
- In a large sauce pan add the tomatoes, salsa, onions, peppers and garlic .
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes .
- Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking dish .
- Spread a little bit of the salsa mixture, cover with 1/3 of the tortillas, now 1/3 of the beans, 1/3 of the meat, more salsa mixture and 1/3 of the cheese .
- Repeat until done .
- Top last layer of cheese with tomatoes, onion, jalapeno and olives .
- You can add extra cheese if you like-I do .
- Bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes .
- Let stand 10-15 minutes .
I made this for some friends, they said that there was a little too much beans but it was really good.
NOTHING can substitute the taste of cubanella peppers in mexican recipies! Mind you, the red peppers are fantastic, too :o)
next time I will use frozen corn instead of the peppers to cut down on prep time.