Prep 24 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from "The Miniature Book of Tomatoes" by Jane Donovan. I haven't tried this yet.
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin steak, trimmed of fat an cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded,cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded,cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 fresh green chili peppers, seeded (any type you like)
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a food processor or blender, process all marinade ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture reduces by 1/2-this may take some time.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup of the marinade and store in the fridge separately.
- Once cooled, combine remaining marinade with meat and bell peppers,cover and marinate in the fridge 12 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain marinade and discard.
- Thread meat and peppers onto metal skewers and grill, turning often and basting with the 1/4 cup reserved marinade, about 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through to your liking.
These make an attractive presentation. The combination of beef and pork is wonderful. I looked at the 1st 3 ingredients in the marinade and decided to make a sub. I used Rotel tomatoes and green chili. Also, I cut small mushrooms in half and placed them on the skewers with the meat and peppers. It worked fine and the recipe was delicious!