Who says that pilaf can only be made with couscous?! Why not try a different version using nutty brown rice instead of the usual grains. This recipe is healthy, satisfying and makes best use of your pantry staples. I hope youll like it as much as we do. :)
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 large tomato, diced (cored if you prefer)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons apple juice
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Place brown rice in a pot and cover with the 2 cups of broth/water. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and rice has softened.
- Meanwhile combine carrots, tomato, kidney beans and jalapenos in a big bowl. Add minced onion, garlic, oil and apple juice. Mix to combine.
- When rice is ready, drain off any remaining liquid and add rice to veggies. Mix well, season with salt and black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Enjoy! :).
Very colorful on the plate and the flavors went together well! I used a rice cooker so this recipe was super easy to make too. I liked the crispy contrast of stirring in the uncooked veggies and thought the jalapeno added a nice level of spicyness. I used the cilantro option to continue with the mexican theme. Thank you for your entry & good luck! =)
I think this is the best rice pilaf I've had in years. I just love everything about it! I also love the heat in this one, and thought there was plenty enough for seconds, which really didn't bother me at all!
Wow!!!! this was very nice and such a pretty dish to look at also. I like the dried onion in it you could taste it but it wasn't as harsh a raw onion, and the carrots gave it a nice crunch. The chopped chili made it a bit on the hot side for me I might use chopped red capsicum next time but that is just my preference, DH liked the heat I am more of a wimp. I think the kidney beans went well with the brown rice and it looked so nice on the plate. I used parsley as that was what I had but I will use coriander next time I think that would be very nice all in all this made for a very nice lunch, all the flavours came though and were very well balanced I will be making this again. Thank you for posting. Good luck. Made for Dinning on a $ 2010