Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
This dessert makes an impressive presentation. The flour tortillas take on a subtle flavor sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar, and they make a pleasing combination with cornflakes. Everybody loves ice cream for dessert. Time doesn't include freezing time.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 6 flour tortillas, cut into 6 wedges each (6 inches)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup corn flakes, crushed
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- chocolate syrup (optional)
- whipped cream, in a can
- 6 maraschino cherries, with stems
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Fry tortilla wedges, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; set aside 1 tablespoon. Sprinkle both sides of tortillas with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the cornflake crumbs and reserved cinnamon-sugar. Roll ice cream in crumb mixture to coat. Freeze until serving.
- Drizzle serving plates with chocolate syrup if desired. Place six tortilla wedges on each plate; top each with a scoop of ice cream. Pipe whipped cream around base and on top of ice cream. Garnish each with a cherry.
Oh my goodness - I can't believe it has taken this long to get a review on this fabulous recipe! We really enjoyed this dessert tonight. Not one thing was changed - just absolutely divine! Made for Photo Tag.
This is the best Ice cream recipe I have been hunting for. I've had it many times. The original way to make ice cream balls first, can be kept frozen for several days in freezer. When ready to serve, fry each tortilla whole, one for each person, (or you can cut into wedges before frying for less calories). Arrange tortilla on plate squeeze small bit of Honey in middle to secure Ice cream. Have a hot pot of oil for frying handy (hot enough to make fries), enough to cover ice cream and a bit more. Using tongs get ice cream from freezer and dip into hot oil. Dip each ice cream ball into frier once for count of 3 and place onto middle of tortilla, drizzle with more honey add whipped cream and top with cherry. Serve. Once you taste the fried ice cream and then have unfried, you will notice the difference. Chocolate syrup or strawberry syrup was later added because some perferred it, but original is made with Honey. Honey and cinnamon is much more healthy. I love this dessert so much. I'd give it far more stars if I could. You have to try this.