Recipe by Sharon123
When I lived in Mexico, this was one of my favorite meals! Easy and oh so good! Delicioso!
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Fabulous dish! Everything about this was great - the ease of prep, the clear and accurate instructions, the color and look of the finished dish, and the wonderful taste. Even the amount of heat was perfect - very spicy, enough to clear those sinuses, but not enough to overpower the rest of the ingredients. I did use the full tsp of hot sauce as well as a whole chili pepper (which I partially seeded). Thanks - a real winner!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco is good)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and green pepper, cook until tender.
- Add tomato, garlic, jalapeno, if using, oregano, salt, hot pepper sauce, tomato sauce and water.
- Simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Break eggs, one at a time, into cup and slip into sauce.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until eggs are set, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over tortillas or toasted English muffins, topped with some of the sauce.