When I lived in Mexico, this was one of my favorite meals! Easy and oh so good! Delicioso!
Make and share this Mexican Huevos Rancheros recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco is good)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 eggs
- In large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and green pepper, cook until tender.
- Add tomato, garlic, jalapeno, if using, oregano, salt, hot pepper sauce, tomato sauce and water.
- Simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Break eggs, one at a time, into cup and slip into sauce.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until eggs are set, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over tortillas or toasted English muffins, topped with some of the sauce.