Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sweet and slightly spiced Mexican Hot Chocolate with a cool, creamy dollop of coconut whipped cream. I have included the recipe for coconut whipped cream. It's really easy to make. Prep time does not include chill time for coconut whipped cream. Adapted from Minimalist Baker.
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I used 1/2 full fat coconut milk 1/2 vanilla almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (or more for intense chocolate flavor-I like the dark chocolate cocoa)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar, depending on your taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (I recommend Vietnamese as its sweeter)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 0.5 (13 1/2 ounce) canfull fat coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a low simmer over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, salt, vanilla and spices and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Serve warm with coconut (or regular) whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
- To make Coconut Whipped Cream:.
- Place your coconut milk in the fridge overnight or in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Upon removal, be careful NOT to shake the can as you want the cream to remain separated from the liquid.
- Open the can and scoop the top layer of cream into a chilled mixing bowl. Whip on medium-high until soft peaks form. (Add a dash of the remaining coconut liquid if it’s too thick.).
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip again to combine. Taste and adjust flavor/sweetness accordingly. Serve with hot cocoa and reserve the rest in an airtight container in the fridge for later use. Should keep for several days.