Recipe by LoneStarLola
This recipe is straight from "The Chocolate Bible" by Christian Teubner, a book my teammates and I at Half Price Books drooled over when it came through our stock room. I was so excited to find this recipe after watching the movie "Chocolat" that I ran straight to the store that night to pick up the ingredients. Absolutely brilliant stuff.
- 3 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 9 ounces mexican chocolate, tablets, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 chili pepper, seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk to a simmer with the vanilla bean and infuse for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine water and crushed chocolate in a bowl.
- Remove vanilla bean and slit lengthwise.
- Scrape out the contents and stir into the chocolate and water.
- Using a whisk, stir chocolate mixture into the hot milk and whisk briskly until the chocolate has melted completely.
- Chop the chili very finely.
- Stir into the drink with the honey and salt.
- Serve hot.