Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate or 3 ounces mexican chocolate, tablets
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- cinnamon stick, for garnish
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Combine chocolate, sugar, espresso granules, cinnamon, salt, orange zest and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk and almond extract; reheat but do not boil. Remove saucepan from stove; whisk hot chocolate until foamy.
- Pour into mugs. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and top with whipped cream, if desired.
Made this today for my DW and 13 yr GDs (twins). The three of them really like it so it gets a five star. For me I would have given it a 4 star, it's good but I would like more orange flavor, but the girls win. Made for football pool week #10, 2009.
I really enjoyed this! The orange flavor came through too! Thanks for a yummy morning drink! I halved the recipe easily. Made for your Football win! Congrats!