Top Review by Maryland Jim
Made this today for my DW and 13 yr GDs (twins). The three of them really like it so it gets a five star. For me I would have given it a 4 star, it's good but I would like more orange flavor, but the girls win. Made for football pool week #10, 2009.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate or 3 ounces mexican chocolate, tablets
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- cinnamon stick, for garnish
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chocolate, sugar, espresso granules, cinnamon, salt, orange zest and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk and almond extract; reheat but do not boil. Remove saucepan from stove; whisk hot chocolate until foamy.
- Pour into mugs. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and top with whipped cream, if desired.