Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Although this uses raw eggs, I think the boiling water cook the eggs - but you can also subsitute egg beaters for the eggs if you want to be on the safe side. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1985).
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 44.37 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml instant espresso powder
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 591.47 ml hot milk
- Pour first 7 ingredients (water - nutmeg) in blender until smooth.
- Add eggs (see note in description).
- With machine running, slowly add hot milk through the hole in top of the blender cover, blending until foamy.
- Serve immediately with extra hot milk or whipped cream.
One of the nice things about a Vita Mix is that it will heat it's contents. Instead of having the milk separate (I knew that I'd want it) I just put everything in the jar and turned it on for about 4 mins. The egg wasn't at all noticeable in the flavor (I used Eggbeaters). I used a heaping 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and Dutch cocoa. It needed extra Splenda for me. This is a lovely warm treat that has my favorite things, chocolate, coffee and cinnamon! Yummy.