Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is a variation on a hot chocolate recipe that I found on the net. It originally used 2 eggs, but I left them out.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces mexican chocolate (3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, preferably Mexican
- cinnamon stick (to garnish)
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until scalding, but not boiling.
- Break the chocolate into pieces. Add to the hot milk along with the cinnamon, sugar and salt. Stir until melted. Beat with a wire whisk until frothy.
- Add the vanilla. Continue to whisk.
- Pour into 4 mugs. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
This was amazing I loved it! The only thing I added was cayenne to give it a little kick and it worked well with soy milk too!
Loved this! Served it at a holiday party and it was a hit. Just a bit too sweet for me, so I might reduce the sugar by 1/2-1 T next time. Great with a little splash of peppermint schnapps, too!
What can I say but wonderful! The cinnamon and vanilla are lovely. I made a great morning wake up today. 5 yummy stars.