Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
In Mexico sandwiches like these are called tortas. This came from a newspaper a long time ago.
- 6 French rolls, split
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 head lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 lb rare roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced in rings
- cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (10 ounce) can red chili sauce or 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Remove some bread from the inside surfaces of the rolls.
- Spread bottom half of each roll thinly with sour cream and add some lettuce.
- Spread with another layer of sour cream, then roast beef.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and top with onion rings, chopped cilantro, avocado and more sour cream. Sprinkle with about 1 teaspoons chili powder. Then top with more lettuce and drizzle with chile sauce. Top with jack cheese.
- Spread cut surface of top half of roll with chile sauce.
- Put top on and dig in!
Yum! This is a new favorite! I made this for lunch and both my husband and I loved it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any Monterey Jack Cheese. I used swiss cheese, which of course didn't really go well with the chili powder and enchilada sauce. But I was enjoying all the other flavors too much to mind. Next time I'll definitely have some Monterey Jack. I also decided to warm it up a little bit, even though the instructions didn't say to do it. It just seemed like the thing to do for me. Thanks so much!