In Mexico sandwiches like these are called tortas. This came from a newspaper a long time ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 French rolls, split
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 head lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 lb rare roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced in rings
- cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (10 ounce) can red chili sauce or 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1Remove some bread from the inside surfaces of the rolls.
- 2Spread bottom half of each roll thinly with sour cream and add some lettuce.
- 3Spread with another layer of sour cream, then roast beef.
- 4Season to taste with salt & pepper and top with onion rings, chopped cilantro, avocado and more sour cream. Sprinkle with about 1 teaspoons chili powder. Then top with more lettuce and drizzle with chile sauce. Top with jack cheese.
- 5Spread cut surface of top half of roll with chile sauce.
- 6Put top on and dig in!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Heroes
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.3
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 87.2 mg
- Sodium 420.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili sauce