Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple Mexi style potatoe dish...quick and easy!
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) package hash brown potatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- Cover Potatoes with boiling water and let stand 5 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Layer 1/2 of potatoes, onion, chilies, and cheese in 8x8 greased baking dish.
- Dot with 1/2 the margarine.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes at 350.
- Uncover and bake til golden brown, about 10 minutes.
This was very bland and tasteless. I was following the directions exactly when it occurred to me that there are NO seasonings added to this dish. I added some salt and pepper to each layer and sprinkled some paprika on top for color but it didn't help much. There was just no flavor here. We won't be making this again.
A nice side dish to serve with a mexican meal when you want something different than rice and beans. I'm going to assume the amount shown for the hash browns is incorrect. I had a 26 ounce bag of hash browns and I used the whole thing. I especially liked the trick of par-cooking the potatoes by pouring boiling water over them.
Laurie, we loved this although I did make some changes. I sauteed the hash browns instead of covering with water, using twice the amount of potatoes. I then just put all the hash browns in a shallow casserole dish, then put all the other ingredients, and proceeded with the cooking. I used a little more cheese too. Thanks for a good breakfast. I served this with eggs over easy and Individual Cream Cheese Danishes.