Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
Tortas: Mexican sandwich, aka street food, meaning can be purchased at stands on street corners or in street markets.
- 4 bolillo rolls or 4 kaiser rolls
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons refried beans
- 1 cup shredded chihuahua cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices thinly sliced ham
- 2 tablespoons hot mexican salsa
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 tomatoes, cut into 8 thin slices
- 1 avocado, cut into 8 slices
- 4 slices onions, separated into rings
- 4 pickled jalapeno peppers, sliced
- Preheat a griddle over med-high heat, or preheat panini grill.
- Cut each bolillo in half horizontally; spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on one side of teh bread and 1 tablespoon refried beans on the other side.
- Top the beans with ¼ of the cheese and 1 slices of ham.
- Spread ½ tablespoon salsa on the other half of the bolillo.
- Close the sandwich; place the torta on the oiled griddle or panini grill.
- If using a griddle, place a skillet as a weight on top of the torta as it cooks.
- Toast until the cheese melts; turn as necessary to avoid burning the exterior.
- When the cheese has melted and the crust of the bread is browned, open the torta and spread ¼ of the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, avocado, and pickled jalapenos inside each.
- Replace the top piece; cut in half; serve immediately.