1/2 Photos of Mexican Ground Beef Tortilla Layer Casserole
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 -4 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and well drained)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 9 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided (can use more or less)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- 3In a large skillet brown the ground beef with onion, garlic, green bell pepper and jalapeno (if using) until the beef is no longer pink; drain any fat then return to skillet and add in one can of enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and cumin.
- 4Bring the ground beef mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally, then season with salt and lots of black pepper.
- 5Arrange 3 corn tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish, cutting as needed to cover bottom of the dish.
- 6Spread 1/4 cup canned enchilada sauce over the tortillas in the baking dish.
- 7Cover the sauce with 1/3 of the cooked ground beef mixture, then about 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- 8Repeat the layers twice but omitting the final cheese layer on top.
- 9Drizzle any remaining canned enchilada sauce (from the second can) on top.
- 10Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
- 11Remove foil and sprinkle with more cheese (any amount desired) then return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- 12Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- 13Top with sour cream and/or tomatoes, green onions and crushed tortilla chips if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Ground Beef Tortilla Layer Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.3
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 123.3 mg
- Sodium 1415.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 42.7 g