Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an easy weeknight meal my family enjoys. If you like it spicer, you can add tomatoes with chilis.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Brown ground beef and onion and drain excess fat.
- Rinse quinoa.
- Add tomatoes, chilies, quinoa, water and spices to ground beef and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 minutes.
- If water evaporates, cover pan for remainder of cooking time.
So easy and so delish! I didn't have cumin or chili powder, so I added a packet of McCormick's taco seasoning instead. I also opted for ground turkey breast instead of ground beef. Served it with sour cream and grated cheddar on top, and a piece of cornbread on the side. Yummy!
Wanted to use up quinoa and ground beef. This is a great base recipe. Next time I will add some veggies (bell pepper, corn, etc). It looks a little plain, needs some color!! Would be great served with tortilla chips.
This worked well for me as a quick side dish with taquitos. I desperately needed a quick extra item that was tasty and this was just great. I had all the ingredients needed in the house without needing to run to the store. Since no one had ever heard of a Mexican Quinoa it was an excellent topic of conversation on how I could have been so creative. Thank You!