Recipe by Heather U.
Although this recipe is from Vegetarian Times Magazine (June, 1999, page 26), this marinade is really good, and would work well on anything you might wish to grill (e.g., chicken, flank steak). "To round out the meal, toast some corn tortillas on the grill alongside the tofu (add toward the end of grilling time) and serve with the salad." (Prep time does not include time to drain or marinate.)
Top Review by 8nine
This was a pretty tasty recipe, I was pleasantly surprised. The slaw combined with the tofu is a very good combination. You could easily half the slaw portion and still have enough (or double the tofu).
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, well-drained
- 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons honey or 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄4 lbs jicama, peeled and grated (1 small)
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and grated (3 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
- 2 fresh cilantro stems, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tofu in half crosswise, then holding knife parallel to work surface, split each piece in half horizontally. Place tofu pieces in baking dish and lay large piece of plastic wrap over surface. Place plate on top and weigh down with one or two cans. Refrigerate tofu 30 to 45 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, using mortar and pestle or side of chef's knife, mash garlic, cumin, oregano and salt into paste. Transfer to small bowl. Whisk in 3 tbsp lime juice and the orange juice with 1 tbsp oil. Season with pepper.
- Remove tofu pieces from baking dish and blot dry with paper towels. Discard liquid in dish. Return tofu to dish. Spoon half of lime juice mixture over tofu, spreading spices evenly and turning tofu to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 day, turning occasionally.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill on high.
- While grill is heating, prepare slaw. In medium bowl, whisk together 3 tbsp lime juice, the remaining 1 tbsp oil, honey and hot sauce. Add jicama, carrots and cilantro; toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil grill rack. Remove tofu from marinade, reserving marinade for basting. Grill tofu, basting occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Divide slaw among serving plates. Top each with a piece of grilled tofu. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs and serve right away.