1/1 Photo of Mexican Green Rice(Vegetarian)
Use the leftovers, if there are any, for filling summer vegetables, such as tomatoes, peppers, and squash. Add a little crumbled queso fresco or feta to the top and bake. Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, large stems removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 5 tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (or white rice)
- 3 anaheim green chilies, roasted (or New Mexican chiles)
- 5 mint leaves, chopped
- 1Simmer the stock with the celery, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, and 2 tbls. of the cilantro until the celery is tender, about 5 minutes. Puree in a blender or food processor and return it to the pan. Season to taste with salt.
- 2Heat the oil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes, until clear and pale gold. Add the warm stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes(if using white rice, let cook 15 minutes). Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, peel, seed, and chop the chiles. Add them to the pan along with the remaining cilantro and the mint. Gently fluff them into the rice with a fork.
- 4Variation with Peas:.
- 5Add 1 cup fresh or frozen peas while the rice is standing. The heat of the rice should cook the peas.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Green Rice(Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.3
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: