Doctor Al's Note:
A classic Italian dish is recast with a surprising Spanish ingredient, browned chorizo sausage. Tomato sauce is changed to pesto for a refeshing flavor. Fresh tomatoes and basil added at presentation freshen the flavor dimensions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups pizza dough, fresh from market
- 1 lb spanish chorizo sausage, spicy, dry version in natural skin, leaner the better
- 1 cup pesto sauce, prepared
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 10 leaves fresh italian basil
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1Preheat (convection ok) oven to 450 F
- 2Brown and drain with paper towel the Spanish style chorizo removing the stuffing from the discarded casing.
- 3Separate basil leaves and coarsely chop.
- 4Dice the tomatoes.
- 5Roll pizza dough on a lightly floured board until it fits the pan to be used for baking.
- 6Move the dough to the pizza pan.
- 7Smear the dough with the pesto sauce.
- 8Distribute the chorizo crumbles evenly over the pizza.
- 9Press into dough.
- 10Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese.
- 11Evenly distribute the shredded mozzarella over the pizza.
- 12Lightly season with Italian herbs and cracked black pepper.
- 13Bake at 450 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 14Cut into serving wedges.
- 15Garnish with tomatoes and basil.
- 16Serve piping hot.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Gourmet Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 984.7
- Calories from Fat 686
- Total Fat 76.2 g
- Saturated Fat 35.5 g
- Cholesterol 211.3 mg
- Sodium 2498.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 63.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: