Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A classic Italian dish is recast with a surprising Spanish ingredient, browned chorizo sausage. Tomato sauce is changed to pesto for a refeshing flavor. Fresh tomatoes and basil added at presentation freshen the flavor dimensions.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pizza dough, fresh from market
- 1 lb spanish chorizo sausage, spicy, dry version in natural skin, leaner the better
- 1 cup pesto sauce, prepared
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 10 leaves fresh italian basil
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat (convection ok) oven to 450 F
- Brown and drain with paper towel the Spanish style chorizo removing the stuffing from the discarded casing.
- Separate basil leaves and coarsely chop.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Roll pizza dough on a lightly floured board until it fits the pan to be used for baking.
- Move the dough to the pizza pan.
- Smear the dough with the pesto sauce.
- Distribute the chorizo crumbles evenly over the pizza.
- Press into dough.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese.
- Evenly distribute the shredded mozzarella over the pizza.
- Lightly season with Italian herbs and cracked black pepper.
- Bake at 450 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into serving wedges.
- Garnish with tomatoes and basil.
- Serve piping hot.