Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have served this appetizer many times to rave reviews! (one time I never made it out of the kitchen at a party--it was eaten by the kitchen "crew"!) Can be served warm or cold.
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces grated monterey jack cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup chunky, thick salsa
- In a large bowl, mix cheeses together.
- Put 1/2 the cheese mixture in a greased 9X9" pan.
- In a different bowl, mix the eggs and salsa together.
- Pour this mixture on top of the cheese in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Cool and cut into squares to serve.
- Tastes great cold.
I found this recipe on a jar of salsa and coudn't imagine anything more disgusting than fudge with salsa in it. Then, I read the recipe. It is wonderful although I generally just use a pound of cheddar cheese.
I have tried it with low-fat cheese which takes care of the oil problems, but then it sticks to the pan. For best results, I use ? a pound of full-fat cheese on the bottom and then ? a pound of low-fat cheese on the top.
Probably the easiest appetizer I ever made other than pouring salsa in a bowl and dumping chips in a basket! It was very tasty although it was a little too warm when I served it...should have let it cool off more, but that was my fault. It was definitely better after it cooled some, far less greasy. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
This was one of the items in our Mexican pot luck luncheon, and everyone wanted the recipe. Nobody could believe that it was so simple to make. We always have way too much food, but this one disappeared completely. Thanks Stewie!