Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My husband rarely would eat rice until he tasted this recipe. My Native American great grandmother passed on her recipes to my grandmother, who in turn added, deleted and passed on to my mother, who in turn added, deleted & passed on to me. I never saw any of them ever measure anything, it was always a dash,pinch,palm or handful(s)etc. Every stage was taste tested for preference. The below recipe is my modern version of what was handed down from my great grandmother. *maple flavored bacon is an added surprize (Kids love it). **Best to start with cold cooked rice (left overs?) ***This dish is savory & spicy enough to not include salt & pepper in the ingredients-let each individual salt & paper to taste. ****This was always served with my mother’s cracklin corn bread, another great recipe I’ll try & share later when I can figure out the measurements! lol
- 1 (12 -16 ounce) package bacon (personal preference)
- bacon fat, saved from the above bacon
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell peppers or 1⁄2 yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 -8 jalapeno peppers, diced hot peppers of choice (or any type(s)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, diced (minced if perfered)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (hominy may be used instead)
- 3 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes
- 2 -3 dashes chili powder (1 pk. taco seasoning may be substituted)
- Fry the bacon just past soft stage but not totally crispy (soft crisp), then drain & save the bacon fat.
- Sauté the peppers, onion, corn & garlic in 2-3 Tblsp. of the saved bacon fat, drain & then set aside.
- Fry the cold cooked rice with 2-3 Tblsp. bacon fat until hot & softly browned, (turning as little as possible).
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder, sautéed items and continue frying on medium heat, turning as infrequently as is possible until desired amount of juice from the tomatoes is evaporated out (may drain tomatoes before hand if you like the dish more firm vs. soft).