1/1 Photo of Mexican Fried Beans with Onions and Garlic
This is a classic recipe. These beans are a great addition to any mexican meal. Cook your beans ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons bacon or 2 tablespoons chorizo drippings
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups undrained seasoned cooked beans, slightly warm
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded,for garnish
- tortilla chips, for garnish
- 1In a large well seasoned or nonstick skillet, heat the oil or pork fat over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic, cook for a minute or so, then use a slotted spoon to scoop in about 1/4 of the beans, leaving most of the liquid behind.
- 4With a bean or potato masher, or the back of a large spoon, mash the beans into a coarse puree.
- 5Add another portion of the beans, mash them in, and continue until all the beans have been added and coarsely mashed.
- 6Add about a cup of bean liquid or water and stir frequently over the heat until the beans are still a little soupier than you'd like to serve them (they'll thicken as they sit.) Taste and season with salt if needed.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Fried Beans with Onions and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 64.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 38.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: