Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Dried chiles gives earthy heat to steak and bell peppers in this delicious rice bowl.The recipe comes from Sunset Magazine.
- 1 lb beef flank steak, fat trimmed
- 3 dried New Mexico chiles or 3 california chilies, rinsed,stemmed,seeded and cut into pieces (each about 5 by 2 in.)
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 lb red bell pepper, rinsed,stemmed,seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1)
- 1⁄2 lb yellow bell pepper, rinsed,stemmed,seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1)
- 1 red onion, peeled and slivered lengthwise (8 ounce)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse beef and pat dry; cut across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices and place in bowl.
- In a blender, cover dried chiles with 3/4 cup boiling water; let stand until chiles are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice, garlic, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon salt and whirl until smooth.
- Pour over Beef, cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a 3-to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 cups water and brown rice to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour oil into a 10-to-12-inch frying pan over high heat.
- When oil is hot, lift beef from marinade with slotted spoon (reserve marinade) and add to pan.
- Stir until meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer meat to plate or bowl, Add peppers and onions to pan; stir frequently until limp, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Return beef to pan along with marinade; bring to boil and cook, stirring once or twice for 1 minute.
- Spoon rice into bowls and top equally with beef, vegetables and sauce.
- Sprinkle with Cilantro.
- Add salt to taste.