Barb Gertz's Note:
Dried chiles gives earthy heat to steak and bell peppers in this delicious rice bowl.The recipe comes from Sunset Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef flank steak, fat trimmed
- 3 dried New Mexico chiles or 3 california chilies, rinsed,stemmed,seeded and cut into pieces (each about 5 by 2 in.)
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 lb red bell pepper, rinsed,stemmed,seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1)
- 1/2 lb yellow bell pepper, rinsed,stemmed,seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1)
- 1 red onion, peeled and slivered lengthwise (8 ounce)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Rinse beef and pat dry; cut across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices and place in bowl.
- 2In a blender, cover dried chiles with 3/4 cup boiling water; let stand until chiles are soft, about 15 minutes.
- 3Add lime juice, garlic, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon salt and whirl until smooth.
- 4Pour over Beef, cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- 5In a 3-to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 cups water and brown rice to a boil.
- 6Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, pour oil into a 10-to-12-inch frying pan over high heat.
- 8When oil is hot, lift beef from marinade with slotted spoon (reserve marinade) and add to pan.
- 9Stir until meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- 10Transfer meat to plate or bowl, Add peppers and onions to pan; stir frequently until limp, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 11Return beef to pan along with marinade; bring to boil and cook, stirring once or twice for 1 minute.
- 12Spoon rice into bowls and top equally with beef, vegetables and sauce.
- 13Sprinkle with Cilantro.
- 14Add salt to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Flank Steak with Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 654.7
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 362.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 40.2 g