Cook3 hrs 30 mins
This is a traditional Mexican and Spanish dessert and by far my favorite. It is very easy to make and looks beautiful.
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy skillet or saucepan, stirring constantly until it melts and turns a dark golden color.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour into a 4 1/2 cup metal ring mold, swish it around so it evenly coats the bottom of the ring mold.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Stir in milk,1/2 cup sugar, vanilla and orange peel.
- Place caramel coated ring mold in another pan and place on an oven rack.
- Pour egg mixture into the ring mold and pour the hottest tap water possible around the ring mold to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 325Ffor close to l hour or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool flan on a wire rack, Chill for at least 3 1/2 hours.
- To unmold the flan loosen edges with a spatula, slip spatula down the sides to let air in.
- Place the serving platter over the mold and flip to allow the flan to slip onto the platter.
- Spoon the caramel that may remain in the mold on top of the flan.
- Pile sliced fruit in the center and serve.