Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is really three recipes in one (previously posted recipes #493474,#493473,and #493472).Three bands of rice-red,white,and green-are arranged to mimic the colors of the Mexican flag.This makes a good dish for serving a crowd as everyone can choose their favorite flavor or try one of each.Very pretty and good to serve on Mexico's Independence Day(El Dia de Independencia,September 16) or Cinco de Mayo.The original recipe is from Frida's Fiesta.It may be easier for you to saute the rice seperately in 3 batches,if you prefer.That way you can concentrate on each batch at a time.You would use 1 cup of rice in about 2-3 tablespoons of oil for each batch,and dividing the onion and garlic among each pot.I like to save time by sauteeing it all at once.It helps to have the 3 smaller pots with a little extra oil already hot when you are ready to add the purees,but this does take a little multitasking at the stove.Don't sweat it,take your time the first time you make it and wait until you've completed each batch before heating each pot with a little oil in it.You can always make the rice earlier in the day and reheat right before serving.
- 3 cups rice, divided
- 6 tablespoons lard or 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced plus 1/2 onion (for the red rice)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, both cut in half
- 5 1⁄3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 1⁄2 limes, juice only
For the green rice
- 3 poblano chiles, deveined
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped finely
For the red rice
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- Cover the 3 cups of rice in very hot water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.Drain,and rinse with cold water.Drain the rice again and spread out to dry on a towel or baking sheet for an hour.
- Meanwhile mince 1 onion,mince 4 cloves of the garlic.
- Make the puree for the green rice:Place poblano chiles,1/4 cup cilantro ,and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a blender and puree until smooth.Set aside.
- Make the puree fot the red rice:Place the tomato,1/2 onion,2 cloves of garlic and 1/3 cup chicken broth in a blender and puree until smooth.Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium until hot.Add the rice and cook,stirring,for a mi nute or two.Add the onion and garlic,reduce heat and continue cooking for a couple of minutes,stirring until the rice sounds like sand and the onion is translucent.Remove from heat.
- Place 1/3 of the rice in a medium pot,add 1 stalk of celery,juice of 1/2 lime and 2 cups of chicken broth bring to a boil.When it begins to boil,reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Place 1/3 of the rice in a pot with the green chile puree and cook over medium until the puree is slightly reduced(it helps if the pot is already hot).Add 1/4 cup cilantro,juice of 1/2 lime,and 1 3/4 cups chicken broth.Bring to a boil.When it boils,reduce heat to a simmer,and cover.
- Place the last 1/3 of the rice in a hot pot,add the tomato puree and cook to slightly reduce the tomato sauce.(it helps if the pot is already hot).Add 1 celery stalk,1 sprig parsley,juice of 1/2 lime,and 1 2/3 cups chicken broth.Bring to a boil.When it boils,reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook each pot of rice about 20 minutes,or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid.Remove from heat.
- Fluff each batch of rice with a fork.Arrange the rice in a large casserole dish ,first a band of red,then white,then green,to resemble the Mexican flag.Garnish with a 1/4 cup of cilantro leaves in the center and serve hot.