Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A filling spicy rice and sausage dish that is baked with picante sauce, sour cream, and cheese. Adapted from a recipe websites newsletter.
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 lb ground pork breakfast sausage
- 1 (16 ounce) jar picante sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the rice, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown sausage until no longer pink.
- In a medium mixing bowl add cooked rice, cooked sausage, picante sauce, and sour cream. Mix well, place in casserole dish, and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with sides of extra picante sauce and sour cream.
Great Thanks for sharing!! I really liked the ground turkey idea/ but prefer ground chicken to turkey, so I did that, and seasoned just with some mild chili powder and garlic powder, then in the last 15 minutes of cooking I added crushed corn chips ( fritos) and a little more cheese. Tasted like a tamale kinda or an enchilada, we liked it anyway :)
We have never had ground breakfast sausage, so did not know what to expect. It probably depends on the brand you get, but the one we chose had so much rosemary in it it overpowered the dish. If we had known, we would have been better off cooking ground turkey with some added spices. We also halved the dairy in this, so that it wouldn't be overly creamy for us (it was still quite creamy). Guacamole was a good addition for topping.
Totally loved this. This was so easy and so good. I actually used mild Picante sauce and it was just perfect for me( I am a spicey wimp) This went great with our mole sauce recipe#472996 and recipe#484420. Made for ZWT8.