Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a dish that I make about twice a month. My family loves this served with fresh cantaloupe and spanish rice.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 package medium flour tortilla
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- taco sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) canpeeled and chopped green chilies
- 2 cups shredded taco cheese (colby and monterey jack)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- saute onion in a small amount of oil until tender.
- Add beef and brown, stirring.
- Drain grease from meat and add taco seasoning packet along with 1/3 cup of water.
- simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place 3 flour tortillas on bottom of a 9 inch pie pan, spreading tortillas out to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
- Spread 1/2 of the refried beans over the tortillas.
- Add 1/2 of the green chilies.
- Cover with half of the meat mixtureand 1 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat the layers and top with cruched tortilla chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- top with chopped tomatoes and serve with taco sauce, if desired.
Jellyqueen recommended this dish to me, and I have to agree with her. We really enjoyed this recipe.
My family loves this pie, gb! I used corn tortillas because that was what I had. And I also splashed a bit of taco sauce in the layers, too. My husband loved it so much, he had two huge servings, and swiped the rest for lunch the next day! We had chopped tomatoes and plain yogurt(which I prefer to sour cream) on the top, and it was delicious! Yellow rice on the side was perfect, as was the fresh canteloupe! It was refreshing served with the pie, and a nice change of pace. Thanks!
I thought my DH was going to make himself sick eating this recipe. It was that good. He loves trying my new recipes and gives me his opinion on them. This one is one that he will want often. I did scale the recipe down to serve 2 and used even less meat than the scaled version called for. We are not great big meat eaters. I also didn't have the taco cheese blend, so I used a American/Cheddar blend. I am sure it will be even better next time when I have the correct blend of cheese. Thanks for this quick and easy recipe.