Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Cocina De La Familia". A heck of a lot more interesting than the standard meatloaf. Only meatloaf I actually enjoy a lot. I usually make a double recipe and freeze into smaller disposible aluminum loaf pans.
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 cup black beans (home cooked or canned, and drained)
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal, dry (depending upon wetness from vegetables, can add 1/4 cup more when mixing)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced (or 1 tbsp bottled chipotle sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably mexican or strong greek oregano) or 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (preferably mexican or strong greek oregano)
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Warm oil in a medium skillet over medium- low heat.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in skillet until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Mix sauted vegetables and all other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pack mixture into 9 by 5 loaf pan, or several smaller loaf pans if you prefer.
- Bake until meatloaf is cooked through, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove from over and pour off any fat.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve. Taco sauce makes a good accompaniment.