Recipe by Sharon123
I made this to go with my vegetarian chili tonight and really enjoyed it! This cornbread has a soft, almost custard like texture. Yum! Adapted from The Everyday Fiesta Cookbook.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I practically swooned over this cornbread! It was a total "comfort food," with its custard like filling and with the slight crunch of the bottom crust. I baked in a cast iron pan. I omitted the green onions and used reg. frozen corn (pureed with a bit of cottage cheese) for the creamed corn. I broiled it for a few minutes at the end. This reminded me of an exceptional polenta, and I have all sorts of ways in mind to use this recipe (polenta lasagna, etc.). Thanks so much Sharon. This is a REAL FIND!
- 14.79 ml light olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 354.88 ml yellow cornmeal
- 59.14 ml all purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 59.14 ml creamed corn
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies, drained
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
- 29.58 ml melted butter (or margarine or vegetable oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Heat the oil in a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet or baking pan in oven.
- In a large bowl, sift cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl; stir mixture together.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven; pour in batter.
- Bake 25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting.