Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of my favorite cold weather soups. It has just enough kick to really warm you up when the weather chills you to the bone.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- shredded cheddar cheese (garnish)
- tortilla chips (garnish)
- sour cream (garnish)
- Cook bacon in saucepan until crisp.
- Add onion, garlic, and celery. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are done (about 5 minutes).
- Add green chiles, beans, pepper, chili powder, Tabasco sauce, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with cheese, chips, and sour cream.
I doubled the recipe and made a couple small changes. I used 1lb ground turkey instead of bacon, and 1/4 cup hot taco sauce instead of Tabasco. I also used half fat free beans and half regular. The soup was thick and almost chili-like, and I served it will shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream on top. It was delicious!!! My soup-hating brother in law actually liked it, and my fiance said it tasted to good to be healthy. ;) Thanks for a fabulous recipe!
I added 1lb. of browned hamburger and this soup was to die for!Thanks raw chef for this delicious soup.