1/4 Photos of Mexican Enchilada Sauce
Donna Matthews's Note:
I got this recipe from by grmil who was born and raised in Mexico City. The secret to its flavor is the cocoa
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Stirring constantly, slowly add enough of the water to make a thin paste.
- 3Pour into pan and add rest of water.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- 5Stir in tomato sauce.
- 6Use in your favorite enchilada recipe.
- 7The amounts on the ingredients are very flexible.
- 8For instance, if I am feeding my kids who do not like"spicy", I will halve the chili powder and double the tomato sauce.
- 9Experiment to suit your taste, but don't leave out the cocoa.
- 10For a quick meal, we will soften a corn tortilla in a bit of hot oil, drag it through the sauce, and lay it flat on a plate.
- 11cover it with grated cheddar cheese, sprinkle with chopped onions and sliced black olives.
- 12Then cover with another softened sauced tortilla and melt the cheese in the microwave for 1 minute on high.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Enchilada Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.6
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 538.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g