Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
We eat this for breakfast whenever we have leftover rice. It's so simple and tasty. You can use plain rice (and we often do), but we especially like it with leftover Lemon Cilantro Rice Pilaf. I think it's best with homemade salsa, or a fresh salsa purchased from the refrigerated section of your grocery store. The best thing about eating salsa at breakfast, is that it changes the way your coffee tastes! Something about Mexican breakfast and coffee are so right together. Ingredient amounts are per person; you can easily scale to the number of servings for your family.
- 2⁄3 cup cooked rice (leftover)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Reheat your cooked, leftover rice.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil or bacon grease in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Grate the cheddar so it will be ready when your eggs are.
- Fry the egg to the your preferred level of doneness. I really like it with the yolk still runny, so when you cut into the egg on your plate, the yolk mixes with the rice and salsa. This takes about 2 minutes cooking on the first side, then I flip it over and cook for about 20-30 seconds on the other side.
- Spoon the rice onto a plate.
- Top with the fried eggs.
- Immediately sprinkle the grated cheddar on top, then spoon on the salsa.
- If you are making more than one serving, you won't need to add the whole amount of oil to the skillet for the next servings, as some of the oil will still be in the pan.
- This is an easy weekday breakfast. On weekends when we want a bigger breakfast, we'll also warm up some canned black beans, and tortillas to serve on the side.
So as not to be forgotten I was thinking about composing this recipe to the tune on my 'ring tone'. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
Saw this on a Recipe Request thread. I made it into 2 servings (1 egg each, 2/3 C rice each) bcz I only had 2 eggs. Firt time making fried eggs (DH usu. does it) and I followed the directions and it turned out great. I used butter/oil and didn't have salsa. I seasoned with Cajun seasoning. You could top this with almost anything you like. Very good.
I had all the ingredients for this so made is as a simple Saturday night dinner. I only did 1 egg which was plenty for me and I also added some chopped green onions I had leftover to the rice. This was a great use of leftovers and made for a tasty dinner which was put together in no time. Thanks for posting!