Recipe by Engrossed
Tastes like enchiladas! Yummy and healthier than regular enchiladas. Adapted from Sunset. *This has become my most popular recipe posted here. I've made it slightly different ways over the years. I sprinkle the oiled eggplant with garlic salt now. It's also great with a can of diced tomatoes and 1tbsp of tomato paste, extra cumin, garlic, dried onions, salt and cilantro. I also use reduced-fat cheese now. If you would like it spicier add some jalapenos. I love to eat it along an undressed salad of romaine, purple cabbage and grape tomatoes and eat bites of the salad and eggplant together with sour cream. Many people think it needs to be heartier so feel free to add beans, ground beef or chicken but I really don't think it needs it. It's also great served with rice.
Top Review by chaiandallthatjazz
I love eggplant and Mexican food...so I knew I had to try this dish, and what a great combo it is! It was easy to make and so delicious! I added minced garlic instead of garlic powder, and also added black beans. Definitely a keeper!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs eggplants, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices (I use the American ones)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces diced mild green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sliced black olives, drained
- 6 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Spray baking sheet with oil and place eggplant slices on it in a single layer. Spray the tops of the eggplant with oil. Bake until soft when pressed about 15-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile , in a small pot, combine tomato sauce, chiles, onions, cumin, garlic powder and olives. Bring to a simmer, then simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350 when eggplant is done.
- Arrange half the eggplant slices in a single layer over the bottom of a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Spoon half the sauce over eggplant and sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 until heated through and bubbly (about 30 minutes).
- Top with sour cream if desired.