Recipe by Londonsbk
Taken from the Iowa Egg Council website submitted by Karisa Cheddie. I was looking for something to do with some eggs that were heading toward the end of their shelf life. I am a sucker for southwestern type eats. This was good and reheats well. I posted the original recipe, but I added black beans to it in the bottom layer the first time with great results and I added vegetarian refried beans to the top layer the second time with great results. This receip is a good base and you can play with the ingredients to find your perfect fit.
Top Review by Hot Cooking Mama
We loved this! Added black beans as Londonsbk suggested, and it was quite filling! I did not have a round baking dish that was deep enough, so I just used a rectangle dish and threw in a couple extra tortillas and it came out great. So easy and delicious, thanks for posting!
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- fresh cilantro stem (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In medium bowl, beat together eggs, water and garlic. Spray a 10 inch non-stick skillet lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in egg mixture; cover and cook on medium-low heat until eggs are almost set, about 7-9 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, mix together cream cheese and green chilies. Set aside.
- Place tortilla in bottom of lightly greased 9 or 10 inch spring form pan. Spread with 1/2 of cream cheese mixture and the can of corn. Spread 1/2 cup of salsa over. Top with another tortilla, the remaining cream cheese mixture, the cooked eggs, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup of the salsa. Top with the remaining tortilla. Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Baked in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top iwth remaining salsa and cheddar cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and stacks are warm throughout. Remove rim of the pan and cut into wedges and serve. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.