Tomatoes and green chilies add color to this dish. This cheesy egg dish has a zip to it. It makes a great breakfast, brunch or even lunch or casual dinner dish.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided (16 ounces)
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced (I don't bother to seed and it is fine.)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- salsa, for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chillies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Serve with salsa if desired.