Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tomatoes and green chilies add color to this dish. This cheesy egg dish has a zip to it. It makes a great breakfast, brunch or even lunch or casual dinner dish.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided (16 ounces)
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced (I don't bother to seed and it is fine.)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- salsa, for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chillies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Serve with salsa if desired.
Excellent casserole recipe! I used it to make individual casserole cups with my cupcake pans. Did nothing to the recipe, except added about 3/4 lb pork breakfast sausage, cooked and drained, to the batter. Then baked 350 degrees for about 20 minutes in well-greased cupcake pan. For added fun, I used corn tortilla pieces as a "crust" on some in the pan, before pouring in egg mixture. Made it easier to get them out for sure! I also tried minis - baked for about 12 minutes in mini-muffin pan. Thanks!! Very versatile and tasty recipe.
Very tasty! I cut the recipe in half and served it with salsa and avocado slices. Thanks for sharing!
AMAZING! It's a keeper and will be made often. Tonight was Breakfast fro dinner by request. YUM! I used pepper-jack cheese, Rotel tomatoes (drained well) in place of tomato, green chilies and pepper sauce & cilantro. It was perfect! Bake time was spot on. I halved the recipe & baked in a 8x8. Thanks Keen5!