Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe my mother has made for years that she had gotten from a friend. If I knew where she had gotten it I would certainly give them credit! I wasn't sure about how many servings, but it makes a good amount. As far as the amount of toppings, I just estimated...everyone likes a different amount of lettuce, olives and cheese etc. I look forward to hearing what you think of it or what you did differently!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 15 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 (9 ounce) bag Fritos corn chips
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- Combine garlic clove, chopped onion and ground beef. Brown and drain in large skillet.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, water (I just use the empty tomato sauce can to measure the water) chili powder, oregano, seasoning salt, salt, sugar, Tabasco sauce, and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add 1 cup cooked white rice, stir.
- Layer Frito's on a plate (a little will go a long way!) and top with meat mixture, then cheese and so forth with additional toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, avacado, sour cream).
I can't believe that I found this recipe when I was searching for a new Mexican dish. I have been preparing this recipe since I was in college (30+ years ago) when a friend's mom gave it to my roommates and me as a great recipe for a crowd. Now it's a favorite of my oldest son and his wife, and my middle son who is in college. It is a great dish. Just set up the toppings and let your guests customize their dish to their liking. A sure winner.
This is amazing. I havnt personally made this but a close friend of mines mom make this. Boy let me tell you it is AWSOME. YUMMY! YUM! YUM! Thanks for sharing PYROCHRY. We must have known eachother in an other KITCHEN.LOL
We enjoyed this recipe ~ it tasted like a taco salad to us with all the toppings. It was easy to make and there weren't any leftovers :) I took someone else's suggestion and added some guacamole to the top ~ yum! Thanks for posting! Made for Pick~A~Chef, Spring 2008.