I love date bars and I made these up with cocoa and cinnamon to give them a subtle Mexican chocolate flavor. I hope you like them!
- 1 cup dates, chopped (I like Amport brand)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey (pref. raw-thick type)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, crushed small
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds, crushed small
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour (I like whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat egg until fluffy.
- Add butter, honey, dates, and vanilla. Stir well with a spoon to coat dates.
- Stir in walnuts and almonds.
- Stir in the coconut, cocoa, and cinnamon.
- Stir in the krispie cereal, salt, lemon juice, then flour and mix well.
- Press the mix into a lightly greased 9 X 9 glass dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting so the bars can set.
- Chill for even more chewiness!
What a great take on date bars. We have enjoyed them for years but this is such a nice change. Keep up the good work Chef Lee