Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Add some Ole! to your pot roast. You can adjust the spice by using hot or mild salsa and you can substitute jalapenos for the chilis.
- 3 -4 lbs well trimmed rump steak or 3 -4 lbs top round roast
- 2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- Combine salsa, paste, water, seasoning mix and chilis.
- Spoon 1/2 the mixture into the bottom of a crock pot.
- Add the roast and top with the remaining mixture.
- Cover and cook 8-10 hours on Low.
I made this for a beachhouse camping trip and it was the most complimented dish of the weekend. If you're on the low budget use pork shoulder or butt instead of steak. I used that instead and it was still a winner. Instead of expensive salsa use much cheaper canned tomates then add fresh cilantro, jalapenos and onion which is what salsa pretty much is anyway. I also added 1 Tbsp of cumin and minced garlic but that's just me. Enjoy!
We really enjoyed this recipe. I mixed the leftover meat and sauce with cooked rice, corn and wrapped it in a tortilla. Then topped the tortilla with more sauce and baked it. My husband loved it! Next time I'll make stuffed peppers with the leftovers. This is a winner!
Believe it or not, after 10 hours of cooking the Mexican flavors were about gone. I ended up adding extra seasoning at the end. Next time I may use medium salsa instead of mild. Shredded the beef and used for 7 layer burritos (froze the rest for a tasty treat on a later date).