Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Creamy, spicy and tangy, this spread is served with tortilla crisps and can be accompanied by a fresh tomato salsa of your choice. I first tasted it with pre-dinner drinks at a Mexican-themed dinner party, and asked for the recipe. You can decide how 'chilli hot' you want it by varying the amount of chilli. It will be much hotter if you include the chilli seeds. Preparation time does not include chilling.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature and chopped roughly
- 1 tablespoon mild sweet chili sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2-1 small fresh red chile, chopped (with or without seeds - your preference)
- 1 -2 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or fresh cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons shelled pistachio nuts, toasted lightly and chopped
- 4 8 inch tortillas
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 1 -2 cup fresh salsa, as an accompaniment
- In a small bowl, beat cheese until smooth and creamy with an electric mixer.
- Next, add the chilli sauce, garlic, lime juice, fresh chilli and green onion, and beat again until combined.
- Spread a sheet of plastic wrap on your kitchen work surface, place cream cheese mixture on it, and shape into a 3 to 4 inch square.
- Enclose the shaped cheese in the plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour (and up to a maximum of 24 hours).
- While cheese is chilling, cut each tortilla into 12 wedges.
- Shallow fry the wedges in hot vegetable oil until puffed and lightly browned.
- When cool, these can be stored in an airtight container for up to 24 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, roll cheese in combined parsley (or cilantro) and nuts.
- Place cheese, fresh salsa and tortilla crisps in serving dishes and enjoy.
THIS IS TERRIFIC!!! I decided to grill some veggies and toss in some cumin and other nummy spices and then had this along with my veggies! The taste is spectacular! Ive never had anything like it before!!! The green onion is vital... this flavor along with the chilli..and the lime..and the garlic.. oh wow! I have to admit I used a low-fat cream cheese.. but my feelings toward this dip didnt change a bit even with the lowfat cheese lol... I love the way it looks rolled in the parsley (i ran out of cilantro lol) and nuts.. Fabulous!!! I served it with a medium salsa because I feared I would overheat my tastebuds otherwise haha :-) THANKS FOR THIS MARVELOUS RECIPE!! I have placed it in my memory for parties and such hehe. :-)