Recipe by Anita Harris
I can't remember where I got this recipe but have had it for years. I always make this when I have cooked a big pot of pinto beans and ham. It's a nice change from your standard cornbread. My husband does not like cornbread or anything with cornmeal but always looks forward to me making this when we have beans. I have made it often and always get lots of compliments.
Top Review by Notorious L.I.Z.
I made this for a pot luck banquet dinner. I thought it tasted great. I used a box of Jiffy cornbread mix instead of cornmeal. It came out great. The cornbread mixture is thin. The meat sort of sinks into the mixture. I was concerned when I was putting it together, but it came a great. 45 min cooking time worked perfectly.
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, diced fine
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 can creamed corn
- 473.18-709.77 ml shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown together the ground beef, onion and jalapeno pepper; drain well.
- In a bowl mix together the cornbread ingredients.
- Lightly spray a 13 x9 in baking dish with Pam.
- Pour 1/2 of the cornbread mixture into prepared dish.
- Top with the meat mixture then sprinkle on the cheese to cover.
- Pour the remaining cornbread mixture on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 45 mins or until the top is lightly browned.