Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe but have had it for years. I always make this when I have cooked a big pot of pinto beans and ham. It's a nice change from your standard cornbread. My husband does not like cornbread or anything with cornmeal but always looks forward to me making this when we have beans. I have made it often and always get lots of compliments.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, diced fine
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 can creamed corn
- 2 -3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown together the ground beef, onion and jalapeno pepper; drain well.
- In a bowl mix together the cornbread ingredients.
- Lightly spray a 13 x9 in baking dish with Pam.
- Pour 1/2 of the cornbread mixture into prepared dish.
- Top with the meat mixture then sprinkle on the cheese to cover.
- Pour the remaining cornbread mixture on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 45 mins or until the top is lightly browned.
I made this for a pot luck banquet dinner. I thought it tasted great. I used a box of Jiffy cornbread mix instead of cornmeal. It came out great. The cornbread mixture is thin. The meat sort of sinks into the mixture. I was concerned when I was putting it together, but it came a great. 45 min cooking time worked perfectly.
This was awesome blossom! I doubled the beef part and added salsa, took the cornbread part and increased by half. Substituted cream corn with frozen corn. This looked really weird when you put it together. The batter is really thing, but then it just comes together and is crusty on top and perfect. Great recipe.
I chop at least a 1/2 LB of bacon and brown it, when making this cornbread, I use a 1/2 cup of bacon dripping instead of the oil, and sprinkle the bacon into the pan, yeah more calories but so good. I've never browned the onions with the ground beef, they just goes into the baking pan, I got this recipe from Ida Carter a hundred years ago, LOL, she was from Quanah , Texas, she was the best cook ever,