Very quick, easy and inexpensive meal in one pan. My mom used to make this all the time and after a little experimenting I came up with my own version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 ounces packaged taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 2 ears corn on the cob, boiled and cut off the cob
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1Preheat oven according to cornbread package. Grease casserole dish (I used 9 x 11 but a 9 x 13 inch should work too).
- 2Brown meat with taco seasoning (I didn't use the whole pouch because the rotel adds some spiciness as well. I used about half a pouch) and drain off excess fat. Add onion and pepper and cook until tender. Add rotel, kidney beans, and corn and let simmer.
- 3Meanwhile combine cornbread according to package directions. Add diced jalapeno and creamed corn.
- 4Spoon thin layer of cornbread on the bottom of the pan. Top with meat mixture then add half of the cheese. Spoon the rest of the cornbread mixture on top and bake according to cornbread package. In the last 5 minutes of cooking top with the rest of the cheese and continue baking until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Cornbread Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.3
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 49.9 mg
- Sodium 1354.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 24.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend