Recipe by Ewalla
Very quick, easy and inexpensive meal in one pan. My mom used to make this all the time and after a little experimenting I came up with my own version.
Top Review by Leighness
Made this dish last night for my fiance who said this recipe even beat the one his Mom used to make him for years. I used two packets of Jiffy mix but everything else as per recipe. Added a dollop of sour cream when served made this dish perfect. I think my fiance will be asking for me to cook this again at least once a week, as he ate seconds and even contemplated thirds! :)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 ounces packaged taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 2 ears corn on the cob, boiled and cut off the cob
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven according to cornbread package. Grease casserole dish (I used 9 x 11 but a 9 x 13 inch should work too).
- Brown meat with taco seasoning (I didn't use the whole pouch because the rotel adds some spiciness as well. I used about half a pouch) and drain off excess fat. Add onion and pepper and cook until tender. Add rotel, kidney beans, and corn and let simmer.
- Meanwhile combine cornbread according to package directions. Add diced jalapeno and creamed corn.
- Spoon thin layer of cornbread on the bottom of the pan. Top with meat mixture then add half of the cheese. Spoon the rest of the cornbread mixture on top and bake according to cornbread package. In the last 5 minutes of cooking top with the rest of the cheese and continue baking until cheese is melted.