1/3 Photos of Mexican Cornbread
1 hr 15 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
I took the best parts of a few different cornbread recipes, and this is the result. Wonderful and moist, it's a great complement to any chili or stew (such as my recipe for Green Chile Pork Stew). Sorry, not for the calorie counters among us (unless you gather a group and cut it into small slivers to serve).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 2Lightly grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet (a 9x13-inch baking dish works too, but you won't get the same crust).
- 3In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together.
- 4Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 5Mix in corn, chilies and cheese.
- 6In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- 7Add flour mixture to cheese mixture, taking care not to overmix (overmixing makes for tougher cornbread).
- 8The batter doesn't have to be totally smooth.
- 9Pour batter into greased pan, and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Serve warm for best crust.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 736.0
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.8 g
- Cholesterol 228.4 mg
- Sodium 1338.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 37.5 g
- Protein 14.4 g