Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I took the best parts of a few different cornbread recipes, and this is the result. Wonderful and moist, it's a great complement to any chili or stew (such as my recipe for Green Chile Pork Stew). Sorry, not for the calorie counters among us (unless you gather a group and cut it into small slivers to serve).
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet (a 9x13-inch baking dish works too, but you won't get the same crust).
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix in corn, chilies and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to cheese mixture, taking care not to overmix (overmixing makes for tougher cornbread).
- The batter doesn't have to be totally smooth.
- Pour batter into greased pan, and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm for best crust.
This was very moist and cake like and sweet, not like any Southern cornbread I've made but I liked this. Different for us. I did cut back on the sugar to 3/4 cups and would probably go down to 1/2 cup just for personal preferences. Served this along side a big bowl of pinto beans. :) Made for Fall PAC 2011
Bueno! Gracias! Comio con gusto!
Excellent corn bread recipe! I made as directed, although instead of a can of cream corn I used a 16 oz portion of fresh freezer corn. Mmm, corn bread goodness. Served with Chili to round off a perfect lazy Sunday meal. Agree with previous reviewer... this makes alot! Thanks so much for sharing! Made for PAC Fall 2009.