I took the best parts of a few different cornbread recipes, and this is the result. Wonderful and moist, it's a great complement to any chili or stew (such as my recipe for Green Chile Pork Stew). Sorry, not for the calorie counters among us (unless you gather a group and cut it into small slivers to serve).
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet (a 9x13-inch baking dish works too, but you won't get the same crust).
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix in corn, chilies and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to cheese mixture, taking care not to overmix (overmixing makes for tougher cornbread).
- The batter doesn't have to be totally smooth.
- Pour batter into greased pan, and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm for best crust.