1/2 Photos of Mexican Cornbread
Mexican Cornbread is almost a meal within itself. This recipe is really easy and versatile. Other than a few basic ingredients you can add just about whatever you'd like or leave out what you don't like or have on hand. This dish is actually better the next day so it's great for potlucks or make-ahead meals. It freezes well, too. Variations: Grated cheese, browned hamburger or sausage, green enchilada sauce, green chiles, dried tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk or 2/3 cup skim milk or 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 small onion, caramelized
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- cooking spray
- 1Caramelize the onion in a pan with 2 teaspoons of oil. While it is cooking:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3Generously spray a 9"X13" pan with cooking spray, or grease with oil or butter.
- 4Pour the diced tomatoes and pimentos into a sieve to drain.
- 5In a bowl combine 2 boxes of cornbread mix, 2 eggs, and 2/3 cup of milk. I use fat-free half-n-half instead of milk.
- 6Pour half of the batter into the greased pan.
- 7Over the layer of batter, add the cream style corn. It won't make a perfect layer from edge to edge. Just do the best you can to make some semblance of a layer. I try to get a little more closer to the outer edges of the pan than in the center. This helps it cook more evenly.
- 8Over the corn layer, add the drained diced tomatoes and pimentos. Again just do the best you can. It doesn't have to be perfect.
- 9Over the tomatoes and pimentos, add the caramelized onions.
- 10Last, dollop on the remaining half of the batter, in some semblance of a top layer.
- 11Place on center rack of oven, or lower.
- 12Bake 40 minutes. Check to see if done in center--it will be very moist but shouldn't be doughy.
- 13If not done at 40 minutes, bake a little longer, under foil if you are afraid the top will over brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.8
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 50.5 mg
- Sodium 993.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 7.8 g