This is a very moist almost casserole cornbread dish handed down through my family for over 40 yrs. Oft times we eat just this with a salad... it's that good!
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
Mix well and then add to cornmeal mixture
In large bowl combine
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil, in hot iron skillet pour in mixture and top with more shredded cheese
- Bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes or until knife in center comes out clean. (oven temps vary).
- I leave the cornbread in the skillet and cut into pieces, let cool about 5-10 minutes, then plate it up for serving. It's really good leftover too! Like that coffee commercial -- good to the last drop!
Other than thinking it needed more of a crust I enjoyed the cornbread. It was easy to make, had a nice texture, and went well with Ground Turkey and White Bean Chili. The cornbread was moist & the leftover still good the next day. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall 08 Pick A Chef.
It is hard to go wrong with cornbread in this house. This was made as per recipe and the temperature was bumped up after about 20 minutes to 375 degrees. I do think that in my oven a higher temperature would have yielded a better crust. Made for *PAC Autumn 2008*