Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a co-worker, she would bring this cornbread for potlucks and it would get gobbled up. I could make a meal out of this! I know there are lots of Mexican cornbread recipes out there but this is one of the best I've tried. I highly recommend using an iron skillet for this.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup canned jalapeno pepper, chopped fine (can add more or less depending on taste)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno juice, from canned jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 10 inch iron skillet.
- Place all ingredients except corn meal mix in a large bowl, mix well.
- Add corn meal mix to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
I have been saving this recipe in my cookbook for just the right time. I knew it would be good, and that is an understatement. This is absolutely delicious! I love the moistness and flavor. I decreased the peppers to 2 Tab. in fear of it being too hot, but it is perfect - just a nice kick. I may even be tempted to try 3 Tab. next time :-) This is definitely a keeper!