Recipe by CarolAT
This wonderful cornbread recipe came from a Paula Dean magazine. If you do not like spicy Mexican cornbread, you can substitute banana peppers in place of the jalapeno peppers and still have a tasty cornbread.
- 3 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cream-style corn
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (7 medium banana peppers can be substituted for the jalapeno peppers)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal mix, onion, cheese, and sugar. Stir in milk, eggs, corn, and peppers.
- Pour into pan, and bake 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares to serve.