Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is great served with any Mexican entree. My family just gobbles this up. Never any left over.
Make and share this Mexican Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers (mild, hot, or very hot, your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan or 10 inch oven-proof skillet.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until bread is golden brown and tests done.
I do like a moist (as opposed to crumbly) tasty cornbread and this was it. I used skim milk and apple sauce instead of oil plus almost double the cream corn and it was a WOW. Really really good. Thanks NurseDi.
I made the corn bread in my cast iron skillet and it came out perfect. Very moist and delicious. Definitely a keeper. I used chopped green peppers but the next time I will use a can of green chilis instead as a matter of taste. I may also slightly increase the cheese. Thanks for sharing a great easy recipe.
Very moist which is how we like our cornbread. I liked the mild flavor or the green chiles. Not very hot so my kids could eat this. Could easily be turned up a notch or two with some japalenos. Thanks Nurse Di.