Recipe by Jenny White
This recipe came from my husband's grandmother. I had enjoyed it for years at her house and failed many attempts to duplicate it. Finally, one day, I just asked her for the recipe and she gladly shared it with me. She's gone now and I'm so happy I got the recipe from her while I could. Hope you love it as much as we do.
Top Review by lairdlk
Love it, Love it! The only change I made was adding 1/2 cup of oil instead of 1 cup (was still moist). On my second batch I cut the recipe in half since I was only feeding 2 adults and 2 small children. The cornbread was delicious! Thanks for sharing this with us!
- 3 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 pickled jalapeno peppers, diced, with a little juice
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup oil, plus more for skillets
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven 425F degrees.
- Put 3 tablespoons each of Crisco, oil or for best results, reserved bacon fat into two 8-9 inch iron skillets.
- Place them into the oven as it is pre-heating.
- Mix all ingredients together and divide batter equally between HOT skillets.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown.
- Remove from pans to cool.
- Note: I have made this recipe using only 1/2 cup oil and it turns out just fine.