Recipe by Sweet Southern Bell
Very easy to make,very good,I serve a salad with it. Thanks to my cousin Jewel for this recipe.
Top Review by Marsha D.
I have been wanting a good recipe for mexican cornbread and I found one. This is excellant! Its a great all in one meal. I made mine in a cast iron skillet. It was very easy to come together and oh!! so tasty! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us Sweet Southern Bell!
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add beef, onion, peppers. Cook, stirring with a fork to break up meat, until meat is browned, set side.
- Combine corn meal, corn, milk, eggs, salt, soda and drippings in a large bowl; mix until well blended.
- Pour ½ of the batter into into a lightly greased heavy skillet or baking pan. Spoon meat mixture evenly over batter. Then put the other ½ batter on top of the meat an then sprinkle the top with the cheese an put in the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 min, or until done.
- Presented By.
- Shirley J Hedrick.